Kids on Safari
- Main Lodge welcomes children of all ages and kids can enjoy our daily children's programme, between approx. 11h00 and 14h00. These are mainly about having fun but we also aim to inspire, excite and educate.
- Children are encouraged and welcome to join their parents on all game drives. Baby-sitting is available if required.
- Please note that children of all ages are most welcome at Main Lodge and The Homestead. Settlers Drift, River Lodge and Ukhozi Lodge do not accommodate children 10 years and younger.
Children of all ages are encouraged to enjoy morning and afternoon game drives with their parents (as well as the river cruise). For children five years and under it is the guide’s and General Manager’s discretion as to whether they can be taken to sightings of the more dangerous Big 5 for safety reasons.
This area is situated at Kariega Main Lodge and is ideal when the weather is bad or during evening meal times – when Mom and Dad sometimes have to deal with restless kids! The area is equipped with:
- Wildlife and fun DVDs
- Books, toys, puzzles, colouring-in books, play-dough, games, etc.
- Table tennis (in conference room)
There are children's activities on offer between 11h00 and 14h00. Meet the dedicated coordinator at the Kids on Safari centre and receive a goodie bag. Please feel welcome to also discuss options with your guide.
Children will enjoy one or more of the following safari activities (weather permitting):
- A guided trail within the boundaries of Main Lodge where they will learn more about their beautiful surroundings and the miracles of nature, including plants, insects and animal tracks. The group will have time to ask questions and interact with the ranger. They may be given a fun short test and will each receive a Junior Ranger Certificate
- Learning how to create moulds of animal tracks using plaster of Paris. These can serve as great souvenirs from their time at Kariega
- Target practise shooting with a traditional "kettie" (a safe y-shaped slingshot) and other bushcraft and wildlife survival skills (depending on the age of the group)
- Arts and crafts, including colouring and making animal masks
- Creating "Bushman paintings"
- Environmental education using natural items from the bush including ostrich eggs, porcupine quills, skulls etc.
- Completing the activities in the Kids on Safari booklet.
Children 16 years and over are welcome on our guided bush walks.
Download the Kids on Safari brochure.
No children 10 years and under can utilize the gym. Children between the ages of 11 and 14 must have parental supervision.
Available at all times for R80.00 per babysitter per hour.
Let the FUN begin!
Don't forget your binoculars!
Bring cameras and video recorders to capture the stunning close-up sightings of lion, elephant and other wild game as well as dramatic African vistas.
You may want to go out on the exciting night drives to view nocturnal wildlife activity, so bring warm clothes (particularly in the colder months from May to September).